Alma Café

Nestled into a corner near the Russian Market in Phnom Penh is a charming if unexpected Mexican café.  Founded only a couple months ago by several Mexicans and an American, they serve the closest thing you're going to get to real Mexican food this side of the Pacific. The huevos rancheros, tostadas and today's albondigas are absolutely delicious.  When it comes to the authenticity of the food, they should know.  Several of the kitchen staff are natives of Mexico and have come to Cambodia specifically to lead the kitchen.

One of the proprietors recently spoke with me as I sipped a third cup of coffee.  "Some people have told me it's not the Mexican food they're used to.  I suspect they think Taco Bell is Mexican food.  I'm from Acapulco and this is the food from home."

As a native of Southern California, there's a familiarity here for me.  It's the only place where I can hear people speak Spanish around me in Phnom Penh making entry here like taking a 6,000 mile step into a hole-in-the-wall place back in California.  When you're a world away few things are as comforting as home.
The Lovely Cook
Phnom Penh – August, 2013

Keeping Calm
Phnom Penh – August, 2013


Alma Café
Phnom Penh – August, 2013

Comments

Popular Posts