Black Is the New Black

These are not the people pleasers.  Few people like photos they can barely make out.  I'm one of the few.  A black box with some dulled light and obscured figures?  I'm a fan.  Too often we like to be comfortable with knowing exactly what's going on in an image.  But pictures can be impressions and expressions, not merely documenting what looks good.  What's being conveyed is often beyond what's happening in the frame; instead it lies in the mood and the structure of the composition.  The blacked-out photos below are sort of what I mean.  I don't see them as good for documenting what was there but rather for conjuring up the time and the mindset I was in when I took them.


Fan
Phnom Penh – March 2013

Lemon at Al's
Phnom Penh – March 2013


Leaving Beirut
Phnom Penh – March 2013

Comments

Popular Posts