Tiffany Blue Barbecue

Tiffany Blue Barbecue
Phnom Penh – March 2013
I was informed recently that Tiffany's boxes are not green; they are in fact Tiffany Blue.  Are they though?  Is there really a difference between teal and turquoise?  Violet and purple?  Fuchsia and magenta?  Sure, the wavelength of the light is shorter or longer but what's with all the crazy color vocab?  Below are renderings I found of color wheels.  I've presented them here as a contrast between what men see and what women see.

What Men See
What Women See
At the end of the day, I guess I really don't care about all the labels.  I'll probably just order more barbecue.

Comments

  1. There have been psycholinguistic studies specifically using color in order to see the effect of one's language on perceptive thought processes. They compared speakers of a language that had very few terms for colors to English speakers and found that both were able to identify colors fairly well, but the English speakers performed significantly better in color memory tasks (possibly because of the different lexical entries they had available to them)

    Here's an article summing up a lot of the research in this area, though I don't think any had to do with gender and perception :-D http://www.essex.ac.uk/psychology/department/people/roberson_files/color%20categories.pdf

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts